This program aims in general to develop students' knowledge and experience in the field of urban planning in order to be able to improve the quality of the physical environment.
The specific objectives for this program can be summarized as follows:
- provide students with the foundations and principles that help to improve the spatial, economic and social environment.
- cover the need of the public sector (municipalities, ministries and concerned institutions) and the private sector (engineering offices and consulting firms) of specialists in the field of urban planning and development.
- provide students with techniques and skills related to planning in order to facilitate their practice.
- improve and strengthen the practice of urban planning and development in Palestine.
- contribute to laying the foundations and rules that help in developing and building the Palestinian planning and organization institutions.
- contribute to laying the foundations and rules necessary for the management and control of environmental change and physical development of Palestinian communities.
- contribute to the preparation and implementation of development plans for Palestinian communities.
- contribute to cover the need of neighboring Arab countries (like Jordan) as well as Gulf countries for planners, to follow accelerated urban developments, as well as the face of urban and environmental problems and challenges
Student outcomes are outcomes (a) through (k) plus any additional outcomes that may be articulated by the program.
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.